Saturday, May 04, 2013

Call me Handy Smurf

This post could also have been titled, "I should really know better than to do stupid shit like this, and I know you are much smarter..."

Last week I rescued a cane patio set from beside the dumpster. It came in installments. One day, a loveseat appeared, and after I scavenged that, a few days later 2 chairs and a table were in its place. The table was in bad shape, and I do have some dumpster diving standards, so I left it. Besides, I already have my awesome palm stump table.

Here's where the stupid part comes in. I picked up some spray paint from Home Depot. Not wanting to accidentally spray my patio, I decided to go out on the communal grass patch behind the house to do it. I put down plastic sheeting and weighted the edges down with scrap lumber to stop it blowing in the wind.

Wait. What's that you say? If it's windy enough for the drop cloth to be blowing around, then maybe it's too windy to paint?

Well, why the hell didn't you speak up sooner?

I went for a navy on the chairs and a turquoise on the bench to pick up the colors on the palm table. Naturally, I didn't buy enough cans and will have to make another run to HD tomorrow. When I finished, I carried on working on another project and then video chatted with the other Junk Jedi. It was only then that I realized that I looked like a damned smurf. It's no wonder my paint didn't go as far as I'd hoped. There was a fine dusting all over me. My face, my arms, my ears, and even a blue tan line where my flip flops were.

Later on while in the shower, a thought occurred to me. I was performing a thorough scrub with my Yardley of London soap, raw sugar, and an old cloth (now blue) when I realized that tomorrow I have to finish the second coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment