Sunday, April 07, 2013

Tree stump table decor with Modge Podge

I used leftover paint from the blue and white table, along with some sale fabric to decorate my stump table.





Materials: paint, paintbrush, fabric, string, pencil, tape measure, scissors, Modge Podge, sponge brush
Watching paint dry

First, I painted a broad paint border around the top and edges of the table. I used my Ace Paint and Primer in one, but it took two coats because the wood was so porous. MDF or ply would probably only take one coat. I waited for it to dry, but thankfully that took about 20 minutes on a warm day. If your fabric is thin, I'd recommend painting the whole top in case the paint shows through the fabric. You don't want to see the paint border.

 I measured the diameter of the table, and decided how much of the paint border I wanted to show. I then subtracted twice that to get the diameter of the fabric circle I would need to cut.

Using the ever-handy pencil-on-a-string technique, I drew a circle on the backside of the fabric and cut it out. My fabric is a pretty robust one that was in the section at JoAnns where the patio fabrics are. If you're using something thinner, you may want to Modge Podge the fabric before cutting to prevent the edgesr from fraying.

I slathered a copious amount of Modge Podge on the table with the sponge brush and then added the fabric. To center it, I used the same technique as for pie crust. Fold the fabric into quarters and then center the point of the circle. Unfold, and voila!

I like how the shadow from the screen makes the table look like a peace sign. Groovy.
High tech measurement technique, y'all.


Now, to smooth out the bubbles in the Modge Podge, you can buy a special tool. Or you can pull an empty wine bottle out of the recycling bin and use it like a rolling pin. Your choice. Me, I think that a nice cabernet adds a bit of class to the whole operation. 

Reduce, Reuse, get hiccups.
The Modge Podge goes on white but dries clear.
After it was smooth, I added two coats of the Modge Podge over the top of the fabric. It works as a sort of lacquer to hold it down and to prevent fraying.

No comments:

Post a Comment