Friday, April 12, 2013

Bargain tunes

In previous posts, I've mentioned the amazing Goodwill superstore near me, where I found my coffee and end tables, kitchen table, and super bargain sofa. This one may be my best find yet.

Recently, Ace Hardware did another free quart of their lovely primer-paint combo. I had mine mixed in a beautiful turquoise. I plan on using it as the accent color, along with a splash of yellow, to go with my white and seaglass bedroom colors. While I was there, I also scored a quart of a nice pewter color for just a few bucks that was in the "oops" stack.  Now, obviously, a girl needs something to paint upon, so Goodwill was a great place to start.

I was looking for bedroom furniture, but found what I thought was a pretty cool sideboard. I have an extremely naked dining room and the price was a sweet $30. When I got closer, I noticed that it had a lift up section and when I opened it....BEHOLD!
 
It's an RCA Victor. It's has a record player and a stereo in it. There's even a gap that is the perfect size for holding one's vinyl. I was pretty sure it was the coolest thing ever, so I snagged the tag and bought it on the spot. The fun thing was trying to get it in the car. The guy in the loading dock was about as effective as a puppy, but thankfully there was a nice burly man impatiently waiting behind me that helped shove it into the back of my car. The sucker is really heavy.

My super awesome neighbors helped my get it into the house. I looked up the model number on the back and found out that it was a 1968 model. We plugged it in, and holy frijoles...IT STILL WORKS!! I thought it was only fitting to find the oldies channel. It even has the occasional pop and crackle from the speakers that makes music sound much more like art than overproduced pop stuff. Look at that- I buy a stereo that was made a full decade before I was born, and it makes me sound like a crotchety old person. "Back in my day, music was good. Not this noise that you kids listen to today. Now get off my lawn!"

Midget and I did some booty shaking to the Supremes and Marvin Gaye for a while. That's when I noticed the smoke smell. It had been masked by the overall eau du charity shop before, but now the reek started properly. I wiped it, I washed it with baking soda, I washed it with wood cleaner. I did it some more. The nicotine that came off of it was incredible. One end was much more heavily coated than the other, so I can just picture some man sitting in a chair next to it, smoking and listening to tunes for 30 years. Scrubbing the louvred speaker covers was an exercise in extreme patience. It did convince me that perhaps sanding it and painting it would be a nightmare.

For several days, if I sat on the computer working at the dining room table next to it, I had a raspy throat and my hair smelled of smoke. Not pretty. I kept wiping and washing, but the fade was only minimal. After consulting the internet, my last resort was to try OdoBan. I put a bowl of it out on top, a small container of it inside, and one underneath. The house smelled lovely. I let it sit for about a week and the smell/irritation was dramatically reduced. I poured away the OdoBan and the smell came back, but not as badly. I repeated for another week or so, and now the smell is almost gone. Hooray!


It's been over a month now, and I still smile every time I see it. There's music in the house, and it fits perfectly along the wall. I never did find anything to use my new paint on. Looks like another Goodwill trip may be in order...

No comments:

Post a Comment