Monday, April 01, 2013

Outta my way, old man!

There's something about a kitchen that makes me want fresh colors. Or colours, depending on from  which country you're reading. I scored this table set due to the quick reactions of my friend. She was perusing the local amazing Goodwill superstore and spotted it while I was busily rummaging through an assortment of headboards. She saw an old man heading toward the table, so threw herself on top of it, sliding Bo Duke style, and snagged the tag before he could get there. We only felt guilty for a second.

The table was a scratched up, flat black. But it came with four chairs, it's solid wood, and it was $30. Sold.

Anyway, I figured that since I don't have any stuff to clutter up my space, I'd need some color to avoid things looking clinical. Plus, the table was already an ugly color, so if I screwed it up then it wouldn't be any worse. I chose paint in an orange sorbet and a lime sorbet. I think it turned out pretty cute. Don't look too closely, because I've still got some touching up to do. Here's the "after" picture. For those of you that are as weird as I am and find the in-progress tales compelling, keep reading.

Sorbet kitchen table.


When I got my bargain table out into the harsh light of day, it was apparent that whoever had owned it was a family of filthy pigs. I moved the table out onto the patio. I had to chisel off coagulated and hardened food from every surface and crevice with a screwdriver and then scour it off with sandpaper. A maggot actually fell out of some of the detritous. I followed it up with a nice dose of Lysol for good measure.  Oh well, soldier on, right?

Before: Sanding the crap off of the table.

Once the table was clean, the sanding began. My friend and my daughter both gallantly spent ages helping me out, but they both wanted to sand the paint completely off and take it back to the bare wood. At this point, I was pining away for the electric Mouse sander in my house 5,000 miles away. Since I was going to prime and paint everything, I decided to just rough sand by hand to get the loose paint off and give the primer something to adhere to. I'd read so many people's raving blogs about spray primer, but it didn't go as far as I wanted.

A can of spray primer doesn't quite cover it.
Sanding the chairs




Stripping is such a messy job.
Once I started stripping (the paint, much to the relief of the nieghbors), it was obvious that the chairs has been painted twice. They'd been painted black on the base, but white on the tops. That must have looked bad, because the white was later covered with black. The paint was sort of gummy and hard to sand, so I splashed out on some aerosol stripper. What a mess. Since all of my tools are far, far away, I sacrificed a plastic spatula that had a chip in it for scraping off the paint sludge. This was not effective.
I wanted an orange sorbet color, and the one I found was actually called orange sorbet. Perfect.

I used a spray primer on the table and then used an angled brush to apply three coats of paint to the top of the table over the course of several evenings while sweating my proverbial bollocks off. It's still 90% humidity and 85 degrees, even at 10pm. The chairs got Kilz applied with a foam brush. Two were spray painted white, and two were painted with the lime sorbet. I'd just like to add here: Painting spindles is a gigantic pain in the arse.

You know how the back of the paint cans always tell you about ideal temperature and painting conditions, blah blah blah? Apparently that crap means something. Paint will not dry in conditions that create swamp ass. It just sort of bubbles and runs. After 2 days, I had to move my still-tacky chairs in so that the air conditioner would dehumidify them a bit. Hence the touch-ups that I need to do.

After a spray of clearcoat on the table top to ensure that daily wiping won't destroy my paint job, the table was good to go. all in all, the project probably took me 5 or 6 evenings, some with 5 hours of work, some with just an hour. I'm quite happy with my pretty little table. Next up, the coffee and end tables. I just need to gear myself up for another round of sanding and painting. Yee hah. Maybe next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment